Innovative Research Awards
Innovative Research Awards
Preliminary data can be crucial to the success of a research proposal. The center will provide “seed money” for projects intended to support future grant applications. All cancer research center full faculty are eligible to apply. Awards will be made on a competitive basis. The requested amount is usually much higher than available funds, constraining the size of the awards we can make (up to $25,000). Requests for sustained support of full-time research assistants or post-docs will not be successful. Funds will not be provided for major equipment or faculty summer salaries, travel, or graduate student salaries. (Graduate student/postdoctoral travel to meetings and graduate student summer stipends can be funded via other award categories.) All applications will require a progress report to become eligible for future awards.
Requests will be evaluated based on 1) Cancer relevance 2) Potential for future national funding (such as NIH, NSF or DOD), and 3) preference will be given to programs not currently enjoying extramural funding. The cancer relevance of the proposed research will be a high criterion of evaluation. The biannual application deadlines are October 1 and March 1.
If there are questions, please contact the Johnson Cancer Research Center. Please do not submit a truncated proposal from another funding source. Complete and submit the application electronically using an official K-State email ONLY. Document requirements: 12 pt ariel font, 1 inch margins. Applications that do not meet requirements or provide the necessary documentation will be administratively triaged.
The online application cannot be saved, so have all your information ready before you start. The application requires the following information:
- Name, department, campus address, phone number and official K-State email for all PI’s and Co-PI’s.
- Names, affiliation and contact information of 5 external experts (off K-State campus) who can review this application and don't have a conflict of interest with your program (no co-authorships, share grant applicants or significant professional collaborations within the last 5 years.)
- List previous funding from Johnson Cancer Research Center for the last 3 years.
- Positive outcomes from previous Johnson Cancer Research Center funding, i.e., peer reviewed publications, grants funded, etc.
- Detailed budget and budget justification for supplies and services. Salaries are generally not allowed and meeting travel is covered by other awards. If you include these, please provide sufficient justification.
- Matching Funds (if any)
- Cancer Relevance of this Project in 100 words or less
- Lay language (6-8th grade level) of the work you propose in 100 words or less.
- 3 page project description
- 5 page NIH style biosketch for the PI's and all Co PI's
- Cancer relevant experience and why this project is relevant to the JCRC's mission in the personal statement of the biosketch.
INNOVATIVE RESEARCH AWARD Online Application
NOTE TO APPLICANTS: You cannot save or re-enter the application, so have all your information ready before you start.