Welcome to the SPARC (Special Partners Advancing Research in Cancer)! The Johnson Cancer Research Center has updated its annual magazine. We have provided a simplified, bulleted text and a QR code for those who want more, or the “rest of the story”! One goal is to include everyone who sparks cancer research as the Cure Starts with US! The “US” includes the faculty and student researchers, donors, volunteers, administrators, advisory council members as well as those wearing our t-shirts or who give in memory of a loved one. Everyone’s help is critical and appreciated!
STAY TUNED!!! ALL OF THE FOLLOWING STORIES WILL BE POSTED IN EARLY APRIL, 2023!!!!
In this issue of SPARC, you will learn:
- How Dr. Zolkiewska is developing a novel method to increase the effectiveness of new immunotherapies when treating triple-negative breast cancer.
Read the "rest of the story". /newsevents/publications/sparc/zolkiewska.html Y
- How cancer research has elevated the education of Ashlyn and Taylor Bugbee, twin students. They also provide pointers for others to follow in their footstep.
Read the "rest of the story" /newsevents/publications/sparc/bugbee.html Y
- How Dr. Zinoveyva studies tiny RNAs to determine which genes to turn on or off resulting in cancer and disease in transparent microscopic worms and humans.
Read the "rest of the story" /newsevents/publications/sparc/zinoveyva.html Y
- How Sonny Lee studies the intestinal microbes in pups from antibiotic-treated pregnant mice .
Read the "rest of the story" /newsevents/publications/sparc/lee.html Y
- How former director, Dr. Stephen K. Chapes believes the Johnson Cancer Research Center has been at the cutting edge of student engagement for the past 40 years.
Read the "rest of the story" /newsevents/publications/sparc/chapes.html Y
- How Dr. Azuma's radiation oncology helps both pets and ultimately humans.
Read the "rest of the story" /newsevents/publications/sparc/azuma.html Y
- How Dr. Besenyi believes that getting outside into a green space can improve mental health both during and after chemotherapy.
Read the "rest of the story" /newsevents/publications/sparc/besenyi.html Y
- About philanthropic mindset of donors, Cheryl and Casey Mussatto.
Read the "rest of the story" /newsevents/publications/sparc/mussatto.html Y
These stories spotlight a few of the special people providing the SPARC to advance cancer research. Thank you to everyone who has provided a spark, if you haven’t please consider being a part of our SPARC team!